What can I do if I see my co-worker being sexually harassed? Can I file a suit against it?

If you see a co-worker being sexually harassed, and the conduct offends you enough that you feel that it is creating a hostile work environment, you can file a lawsuit against it.

According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity, “the victim [of harassment] does not have to be the person harassed, but can be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.” To be unlawful, the sexual harassment must be so severe or pervasive that it creates a work environment that is hostile, intimidating or offensive to reasonable people.

It is important to make it known to the harasser early on that their behavior is unwelcome to try to prevent it from continuing or escalating. You may also consider reporting it to your supervisor or Human Resources.

If you see a co-worker being sexually harassed and the conduct affects or offends you even though you are not the direct recipient of the unwelcome behavior, you should talk to an experienced employment attorney to help you determine your rights and how to proceed with your claim.

Other Employment Law FAQs:

Like this article?

Share on facebook
Share on Facebook
Share on twitter
Share on Twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on Linkdin
Share on pinterest
Share on Pinterest

Request an Employment Law Consultation Call Back

We use cookies to improve your experience and provide personalized content. By continuing to use our site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and our use of cookies as described in our Cookie Policy.